Wednesday, October 17, 2012

DIY no sew fall banner

Every few months we have a women's craft night at our church where we get together and, you guessed it, make a craft. I come up with the ideas and this last Sunday we made a no sew fall banner. They came out so cute! Here's how to make one for yourself!



Supplies:
jute twine
alphabet stamps (I used 3 inch western style stencils from Michaels)
craft paint
sponge
burlap (if you find 46 inch burlap, you only need to buy 12 inches)
felt and pom poms (optional)
pinking shears
glue gun

Okay, first you have to cut your triangles using pinking shears (zig zag scissors) so the burlap won't fray. My triangles were 8 inches wide and 12 inches long. The point is 4 inches from either side. When you cut out your triangles you will find that you get 2 per 12 inches because a square makes two. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the process but it's fairly simple.

Once you have your triangles, use your sponge to paint letters onto your burlap using the stencils. I chose the word "thanks" because it's something my kids understand, but I also like "gather", "fall", really anything you can come up with! Next, hot glue a thin line along the top of your triangles, one at a time, and carefully lay your twine over the glue. I chose to have the twine in front of my triangles. One really creative girl at the craft night chose to braid her twine, glue it about a half inch from the top and then fray the burlap. So cute!

After your banner is all strung together, you can embellish with felt leaves and pom poms! I downloaded a few leaf templates from google images and used those for guidelines.



I hope you make one too! 




1 comment:

Lissa E. said...

This is so adorable! Love it, Jess!!