Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Unusual Uses

My biggest news this week? The boys are PLAYING TOGETHER! It's amazing to watch, really. They play this game that I completely don't understand where they shriek at eachother and run around the corner into the kitchen and back. I've also overheard Owen pulling Asher up into his bed and reciting books to him. Precious. 

You know I can't sit still for an entire week without a project going. On Monday I was at TJ Maxx, browsing and killing time when I saw this.


It's an alphabet tea towel. Isn't it darling? I bought the only two they had for $1.99 a piece. They were too cute to use as tea towels, and Owen has been interested in the alphabet and counting recently so I thought, what if I turned them into a pillow for him?


As soon as he saw them he started singing the alphabet and pointing to the letters, so I think I was on the right track.




 I put it on his bed. This is where it ended up. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it's so bright and graphic and educational and cheap! 


I think one of the keys to being thrifty and creative is looking at things in a different way. If you see a cute shower curtain on a super sale but you don't need a shower curtain, consider using it for fabric. I've played with chalkboard spray paint quite a bit, and I've seen these wood slices at the craft store and thought "now, what could I make with this?" I never thought to put two and two together! Thrift store china dishes can collect jewelry on your bathroom counter, old frames can become bookcases. See why I can't sit still?






Enjoy the rest of your week. If you have made anything out of something unusual share a link in the comments so we can all see!


Here is Asher drinking from a big boy cup! He is better at it than his big brother.

No comments: