Thursday, September 1, 2011

Let God guide

My husband once said something that has stuck with me ever since. It's a really cliche kind of christian saying that he probably picked up at Bible college, but here it is: "where God guides, He provides". It applies to everything; so simple and SO TRUE! This is how I feel about being a stay-at-home mom. Don't worry, I'm not going to say that God has called everyone to do this, but it's unmistakably something God has called me to, and this saying is how I cope with the pressures the world tries to impose. What has God called you to? You fill in the blank. God has called me to pour everything I have into my kids right now, and to trust Him to handle the details. Do you know how hard that is?!  Not that I wish I could go to work every day or anything, but letting go is much easier said than done, and it applies to more than finances. You know this. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Take it from me, God will handle the details--God has handled more details than, regretfully, I can even remember. Just to clarify, when I say "God provides", I'm not being vague and spiritual. He actually provides. This week our alternator died and the bill was paid by what the mechanic called "a secret santa" (we figured out who it was and thanked them, but God provided nonetheless). Who am I to think I can work things out better than Him? I repeat this to myself when I find myself trying to do His job: "Where God guides, He provides". It is incredibly freeing, really. I don't have to do anything but obey--scratch that, be tuned in enough to know what He is saying to me, then obey. Easy. My toddler could do it.

It's possible that this post was extremely uncomfortable for you to read. If that is the case, God might be calling you to do something that you've been finding excuses not to do. Do you really think God hasn't thought of everything? He knows the consequences, the blessings, and the hardships that following Him will incur. Trust Him, where God guides, He provides.

No comments: