Friday, July 29, 2011

DIY banner

So I made this banner for Owen's birthday party (coming up). I'm planning a "Where the Wild Things Are" theme. It's going to be really cute-I'll post pics. Anyway, I decided to make it say something generic so that I could re-use it afterwards in the boys' room so I chose a line from the book "we love you so". I love the way it turned out! Of course I forgot to take pictures of the process but I'll explain it:

 I started by drawing out the banner and what I wanted it to say; that way I knew how many triangles I was going to need. Then, I went to the fabric store and got a yard of fabric, a yard of iron-on fabric-stiffener stuff, and a spool of ribbon. After ironing on the backing, I used the 60 degree angle on my straight edge to figure out how to make perfect triangles, traced the edges and cut them out. I did one up, one down and so on to make the most of my fabric. I cut letters out of felt, stitched them each onto a triangle and zig-zag stitched two sides of each triangle so they wouldn't fray. Then I sewed the un-stitched side onto the ribbon, leaving enough at each end to make a loop for hanging.



cute, huh? It's going to be adorable hanging over the cupcake table!

No comments: