Monday, April 30, 2012

My inspiration

I get a lot of questions about how I come up with ideas, and the answer is I don't. I am an excellent copy-cat. Here are the three ways I come up with ideas.

#1
 I have a vague idea about something I'd like to make and I'm sure it's been done before. So I fiddle around online until I find a tutorial that seems do-able and give it a try! I love Pinterest because it's a store-house of good ideas that other people found worthy of "pinning" for future reference. There are some things I just know I can make, others aren't worth it. I'm all for making anything myself as long as I know it will be worth it both in the amount of time it takes and the amount of money I will spend. It's usually much cheaper to make it yourself. Usually.

#2
Necessity/want. I see something I want or that needs changing or updating in my home, for my kids, etc. (see bathing suit post) Then, I do my research and find a way to make it. There are so many blogs online with excellent tutorials for making just about anything possible. I rarely just jump in without seeing that someone has done it before.

#3
I keep my eyes open. If you're thinking "DIY", the way you view things changes. Shopping at Anthropologie becomes inspiring rather than depressing.

Here's an example. Right now, I want a new rug. I don't need one. My kitchen rug is dingy and I'm not fond of the pattern anymore. Can I make one?? Let's see...

DIY braided rug tutorial...worth it? I'm not so sure.


Here's a DIY t-shirt rug I found. She spent $25 for the supplies, but it took hours to make. However, I must admit that the end result is pretty awesome and expensive looking.


This one looks simpler, but the result is only as big as a hula hoop. It might look nice to use the idea from the link above and dye white t-shirts the same color for a uniform-looking rug.


This one is pretty crazy amazing. All the pom-poms and different colored rope probably doesn't make it cheap, and I'm not sure I'd be creative or patient enough to make something I loved as much as this, but this is definitely my favorite! This is made using the same hula-hoop technique, except you use a round piece of cardboard for the template. I like that because you can make it as large or small as you'd like!



Hmm...Definitely got my wheels turning. We'll see what I come up with!!

No comments: