Monday, May 23, 2011

Second-hand Furniture

I know I am an exception, but I would rather buy used furniture than new. My mother passed down to me the wisdom of craigslist and I think it would physically pain me to pay full price. I LOVE furniture! It's a good thing I don't have a large home because I think if I had extra room I would collect chairs and bed frames and chests of drawers.
In this post I am going to show you all of the pieces in my house that were purchased second-hand; AND teoo you how much we paid for them. These are my favorites. I don't look at them and say "I had to compromise and that is what I ended up with". I love paying nothing for my furniture because then I don't feel bad about replacing it every few years. Rather than being stuck with what I've got forever because we paid an arm and a leg for it, our home can ebb and flow with our lives. Not only that, but the new furniture we would be able to afford would be low quality and cheap looking. When I buy second-hand I end up with solid, real furniture that won't fall apart.


This is an antique craftsman style desk that I got on Craigslist for $50. Isn't it awesome? The leaves on the sides drop down so it can be smaller. I use it as my sewing table.


I have two of these chairs. My mom bought them on Craigslist for $5 each and then she helped me re-paint and re-upholster them. I constantly see pictures in home decorating magazines of chairs that look exactly like this. Good eye, Mom!


I also have two of these. I love, love, love these chairs. I found them at Salvation Army for $22 each. I kept the original fabric and they have served me well. I think one day I will re-upholster them because the frame is so modern but for now I am happy with '50s orange flowers.


Two of these nightstands, as well. Again, I can't take credit for finding these--Mom again :) I did paint them, though. I don't know how much she spent on them but knowing her, it can't have been more than $20 a piece.



This is my beloved breakfast nook. I have wanted one forever but never had the perfect place to put it. When we moved here I knew the stars had finally aligned! I bought it (need I say where?) for $50 and painted it yellow.


I'm pretty proud of this one. This is my most recent craigslist purchase--$50 thank you very much. I'm using it as an entertainment center and I love it because it has so much storage! All the dvd's, albums, games and kid's books are in there and there are still about 4 big empty drawers! I might paint it and use it as a buffet someday...


This is my son's crib and guess where I got it? I think I paid about $35 for this one. Mattress included. 


Okay, last one. I paid $80 for this antique little dresser and I use it as a changing table in the boys' room. I really don't like traditional changing tables because the shelves are all open. Good luck with that! This suits me much better and look how pretty!

Well there you have it. My second-hand furniture. Everything less than $100 and most of them less than $50. I hope you are inspired to find some treasures of your own!





No comments: